Sunday, July 26, 2009

Looking in the mirror

I tend to be a big picture person, and as such I like to cover passages of scripture with more of a telescope than a microscope, if that makes sense. Sometimes that means that there's a lot to cover in a particular sermon, but I want to give a sense of how the pieces fit together as a whole.

With that disclaimer, James is a very pointed book with lots of very specific instruction. In today's passage, James 1:19-27, there's a lot to chew on, and we by no means exhausted all that was there. But, what's clear is that God is concerned about our behavior, just as much if not more so than our brains. We need to study and apply the Word of God, and I can say that even as a pastor, I don't always do that. Hopefully, for myself and everyone else, we are growing in maturity and learning to be doers of the Word as James exhorts us in these verses.

Sermon, July 26

No comments:

Post a Comment